Our history · The Hammock, Florida

Standing sincenineteen thirty-eight.

Built from coquina quarried across the road, and taking guests on the same stretch of A1A ever since.

1938Founded
~50,000Sq ft of coquina
34Rooms, historic & modern
A1AAll-American Road
Vintage postcard of the motor court that became Palm Coast Villas.

Quarried from the earth across the road.

Before there was a Palm Coast — before Interstate 95, before the strip malls and the bridge traffic — there was a stretch of shell-and-sand road hugging the Atlantic, and on it a cluster of coquina buildings that have never stopped taking guests.

The buildings are not concrete block or stucco. They are coquina: a sedimentary limestone made almost entirely of compressed shell, formed over millions of years in shallow water. Local accounts hold that the stone was quarried directly across A1A, where the former quarry site is still visible.

It is the same stone that built the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine.

A timeline on A1A

Eight decades on the same road.

1938

The Rocks Motor Court

Built as a coquina motor court for motorists driving Florida’s Atlantic coast. Marineland opens the same year, five miles north.

Mid-century

The A1A years

The road carries the traffic of an era before the interstate — the stone pavilion, motor court and low guest wings take the shape they still hold.

Today

Still here

Among the oldest continuously operating lodgings on this stretch of coast, with 34 rooms across the original villas and the later suites.